Long term residents in Japan

By status, nationality, and region, 1992-2010

By William Wetherall

First posted 1 September 2010
Last updated 15 September 2010


"Settled resident" (Teijusha) is usually called "Long-term resident" in English versions of government reports. This is not a visa but -- like "Permanent resident" and "Spouse etc." statuses -- a "non-restricted activity" status. "Long term resident" is the official English term for "Teijusha" in Japanese. "Teijusha" merely implies that one is "residing" in a "fixed" or "settled" manner. "Teijusha" is a non-restricted activity status that must be periodically renewed.